Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Outsider

Even though I used to live in Jackson Hole, I definitely feel like an outsider now that I'm back. I guess I forgot about the fact that my truck's 4WD was busted in 07-08 and I didn't really get out much. Much of the reason for that is because I was broke, and the other part is because I missed David. I wasn't the happiest person, even though we had a 600" season that year. Oh well, I never once regretted moving back to Seattle that February.

Now that I'm back, I feel like I have a clean slate. All of the locals that I knew that year still remember me from my lift-ops days. The mechanics, b & a dudes, lift foremen, liftys, and hosts. It is good to be back. Luckily I have a few friends here who have been kind enough to invite me out of my little cave and into the social world. I've spent a few really fun nights here with girls only. I'm stoked to meet girls that are also good at snowboarding. It's a nice change of pace.

Last weekend local fashion designer Laura Hall threw a fun little shindig at her house. It was called a Salad Bar Party, where everyone has to bring a salad topping, or wine of course. We spent the evening eating salad and then heading out to the Stagecoach in Wilson for Disco Night. Since Thursdays is ladies night, all girls get a free drink and a free cab ride back into town with 3+ people. Tonight, I went to a gift exchange. My original gift I received was a Snuggie, something I was secretly proud of. I could already see myself cuddling up on the couch reading the latest issue of TW Snow. But no, it was stolen away and I ended up with a hand-knit scarf. I guess I'll get more use out of the scarf anyway.

So, I'm starting to feel like I fit in here in Jackson. It's going to take time, but I think I'm on my way. Sometimes when you stay in one place for a while you forget how hard it is to make friends and fit into a new circle of people. When you move, you start fresh, and you never know who you're going to meet.

No comments: