Monday, December 14, 2009

Good Morning Snow, I've Missed You

My Street
Walking down my street to the bus stop on Pearl.

So, after all of the complaining I've done over the past few weeks, the snow has finally arrived. I spent the last four days at work, standing at the top of the chairlifts while it dumped and the rest of the locals skied. The most recent storm brought us 14 inches on Saturday, 7 inches on Sunday, and today, it's still snowing. This is exactly what Jackson needed. The mountain doesn't look so brown anymore. Check out this week's forecast on NOAA. Looks pretty good, I have to say.

No Parking
We definitely needed plows this week!

All of this white stuff has made my mornings, and job, easier as well. I open the door to a brisk 15-18 degrees, walk down the snowy streets to the bus stop, and enjoy the 20 minute free ride to work. When I get there, I load up my pack with photo gear, and ride up the lift. I then proceed to stand outside for the next five hours asking people if they want portraits taken. I might even get some action shots in off of the beginner runs. Those are always entertaining. like I said, all of this is easier when it's 20 degrees outside instead of last week's -5. For example, yesterday I got to shoot the Minnesota Ski Challenge race. When the racers had their results meeting, I brought a laptop and some framed demo prints from that day. I ended up selling one of the demos and a couple of prints. Since I work off commission, I'd say it was a pretty good day. Oh and the best part -- when I was done shooting the race, I got to poach all of the powder on the side of the course that was closed to the public. Knee deep.

Today was pretty good as well. I shot photos of people from Florida, Dallas, and Alabama. Not sure what the deal is with Southerners coming to Jackson, but there are a lot of them. I saw more than one person wearing jeans on any given day this weekend. Ha! Plenty of gaper gaps are in store for the next couple of weeks. Anyway, the weather was pretty chilly at the top of Aprés Vous, with winds up to 25 MPH. Not fun to stand in. The sun kept peeking through the clouds which made for a beautiful sight.

20 Degree Snow
Sun peeking through the fog at the top of AV.

I have the next three days off, so expect me to be raving about all of the powder I get to ride after the next couple of days. Tah-tah for now!

No comments: