Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Live in Wyoming! Weird...

The Town of Jackson
I live here!!

Here I am writing from my sunny little kitchen in my new apartment in Jackson, Wyoming. Yes, it's weird living in Wyoming, but hey, I've done this before. It's actually amazing how much I've forgotten since I last lived here. I feel like I don't know where anything is! Anyway, I finally got internet today (so I can be connected again) and I'm ready to tell you all about my adventures from the past week.

On Our Way
Off we go!

The last time I wrote I was in Bellevue at David's parents' house. We drove 4 hours to Spokane, Washington the next day to spend a few days with David's cousin Keegan. Keegan just bought a house for him, his girlfriend, and his 8-month-old darling little boy, Jaxon. It was fun getting to meet more of David's gi-normous family. I feel as if I've only scratched the surface. Five cousins in one family? Crazy. I have three total. Anyway, after spending a few nights in Spokane, we headed out for the 10 hour drive to Jackson Hole. The drive took us over a mountain pass which was littered with beautiful larch trees. If you're not familiar, they are pine trees that actually turn bright yellow in the fall and lose their needles. Weird concept, but it was a gorgeous site. We then crossed over the panhandle of Idaho and were dumped into the vast land of Montana. Snow covered peaks surrounded us in the distance, but other than that we were on open road underneath an enormous sky. And you wonder why they call it Big Sky...

Why Would they Call it Big Sky?

Montana Mountains

Lucky Moose
Mendall, my lucky moose, kept us safe :)

We arrived in Idaho Falls around 6 or so, and ate "dinner" at Wendy's. Fast food isn't necessarily my first choice, but it gets the job done when you're really really hungry and don't have a lot of time. I wanted to get to our place sooner than later. An hour and a half later after driving over a thankfully snow-free Teton Pass, we could see the city lights of Jackson, and before we knew it we were pulling up to our apartment on Pearl Street.

I actually hadn't seen the place before we got there, which made it that much more exciting. I trusted the opinion of my friend Laura when she said it was livable, haha. It's a cute little two bedroom place only a few blocks away from the Town Square. We ended up unpacking everything that night just to get it all done. We needed a bed anyway.

The next day we woke up to sunshine streaming through the windows and a beautiful bluebird day. We tried to turn in resumes at restaurants and bars, but apparently it's the "dead season" right now until about Thanksgiving. I guess we'll be jobless for a little bit, but I'm pretty confident things will pick up soon.

So what do you do when you don't have a job? Well, bike and hike of course! I thought it would be fun to ride our bikes out to Teton Village where Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is located. It's thirteen miles from our place, which makes for a pretty nice ride. Unlike Seattle, the terrain is very flat here, so it was even easier to ride a long way. We picked up a bike path when the highway turned onto Teton Village Road. Let me just say this is the most beautiful bike path ever. It lines a long open road with big grass fields and creeks on either side, and the Tetons provide a stunning backdrop.

Best Bike Trail Ever

Even though there's no snow on the ground yet, the wind made for a pretty chilly ride. Just because the ground is bare doesn't mean it's not f-ing freezing! The few nights we've spent here have gotten well into the 20s...brrrrr!! Time to break out the heavy coats and scarves! We met Anne and her boyfriend Mike at the Cadillac that night for their awesome happy hour specials. I'm glad we have friends here already :)

The next day (yesterday) we decided to check out a hiking path that David had noticed along Snow King. Snow King is a different ski resort located in the town of Jackson. We actually live a couple of blocks away from it. Sure enough, a trail existed, and we ended up hiking all the way to the top of Snow King. Dog walkers, trail runners, and mountain bikers littered the path. It seems like a popular place to get your exercise on.

Snow King Trail
The hiking path.

Mt. Glory and Snow King Lift
Mt. Glory (on Teton Pass) and a Snow King lift.

The Valley
The valley beyond the town of Jackson.

Wyoming Sunshine
The trees are all ready for winter!

The view from the top had some pretty amazing sights. We could see the resort, the pass, and the huge valley that stretches beyond the town of Jackson. Overall, we had a pretty great day and we're super stoked to be here. As soon as the job situation works out it will be perfect! For now though, we're just going to enjoy the nice weather while we can.

Oh yeah one more thing...David and I did some snowboard testing for a new website being launched this year called Board Insiders. His video footage and review for the GNU Rider's Choice snowboard (one that he actually ended up buying!) recently got published on YouTube. Check it out!!

No comments: