Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Unemployment has its Advantages

Yes, not having a job does suck. When I think about it though, I've only been in Jackson for a week and that's not very long when it comes to a job search. On the plus side though, there are some positives to having a ridiculous amount of time on your side:

1) Time to stay in shape. David and I have really gotten into the whole biking and hiking thing again since it doesn't rain here like it does in Seattle. Unfortunately for us, I feel the end is near for that streak of fun as I woke up to a pretty substantial ice crust on my windshield yesterday. Oh yeah, and the night time temperature forecast for Saturday is 8 degrees. Sweet. I also started taking yoga classes when I got here. I'm starting to feel like my old Gumby self all over again. Anyway, here's a photo from our hike yesterday. Like I mentioned before - not missing the rain at all.

David Enjoying the View

2) Time to perform intern duties. Intern, you may ask? Yes, David and I are the new interns for the snowboarding website YoBeat. It's pretty awesome considering they were the first to publish my photos. For now, we are taking on the daunting task of organizing YoBeat's archives all the way back from 1999. I won't go into detail, but let's just say unemployment runs in our favor on this one. We'll probably have it done before the mountain even opens at this rate. We are also semi in charge of doing some coverage of the snowboard scene here in Jackson Hole. It is a one-of-a-kind scene. Cowboys and stuff...weird.

3) I'm getting really good at Amped 2 Snowboarding on David's XBox. I can't say that I'm a big fan of video games, but I love a good ass-kicking in the King of the Mountain battle against David. He doesn't really appreciate my gloating, although victories only happen about one out of every ten tries for me. Plus, virtual snowboarding is totally like real snowboarding right? I shouldn't even try to get a pass this year. I can get riding done all over the world done right here on my couch.

4) Time to shop around town for giant glass infusion jars. Now that sounds fun right? Actually, it's pretty awesome. David had the idea to make Herbst Whiskey for the holiday season. It's the most delicious alcoholic beverage you could have. When you sip it, it feels like your waking up on Christmas morning to the warmth of a homey fireplace where you will sit drinking coffee next to a sparkling tree with presents littered beneath it. Like I said, best beverage ever. Try it in a hot toddy too. Sorry but I can't tell you what's in it. You will either have to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, or maybe part of the winter with us to experience it...or go to Feierabend in Seattle. Needless to say, it's hard to find a giant glass jar that's air tight and also has a spigot for easy removal of it's contents...and it has to hold a gallon of whiskey. Luckily, I found a nifty little website called Infusion Jars that actually sells these glorious jugs. It's already on the way.

5) Taking advantage of happy hour. Now, I'm not usually one that cares to have a drink at 5 pm usually (I don't work the 9-5 therefore, happy hour doesn't have as much of a draw for me), but I will partake in a cheap beer when I have no income. Gone are the days of froofy martinis from Tini Bigs. Now I go for the PBR when it's two-for-one at the Cadillac...every day from 5-7. Oh yah, and late night starting at ten. Actually, I can't exactly allow myself to drink PBR yet when the delicious Snake River Lager only costs 50 cents more. Who knows though. After I live in Wyoming for long enough I'm sure I won't give a damn anymore. But for now, two beers for $3.50 is something I can afford!

So between becoming a yoga queen, rewriting 12 years of snowboarding history, being champion at Amped, shopping for exotic kitchenware, and enjoying the company of the local color at the Caddy, I don't think I even have time for a job. My life is just way too busy. Oh, and the mountain's going to open soon? There's just no way. Sorry employers, you're going to have to stop fighting over my resume now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Makes me smile. Go Yoga-queen! And awesome about the YoBeat internship. You guys are stars.