Monday, April 12, 2010

Kicker Sesh on Teton Pass

The off-season has officially begun here in Jackson Hole. I've heard horror stories about this time of year, also referred to as "The Mud Season". The snow begins to melt away, people leave, and the town is lifeless. Lucky for me, I picked up a house-sitting gig for local portrait photographer Flo McCall out in South Park. It's not too far from town, but it's private with a dog and lots of room to play. It's also convenient in the sense that it's a straight shot up to Teton Pass where I can get those last few turns out of the way before I put my snowboard in the closet and pull out my bicycle.

In order to take advantage of the snow still left in the mountains, we packed up the truck with some friends and headed up to Teton Pass. We decided to make a run on an area of the south side of the pass called "The Claw". (Sounds scary, I know.) The Claw is a face made up of lots of trees, chutes, and cliffs. Super fun. The first day out, the snow was amazing. Still soft and fluffy due to the north-facing slope aspect. On our ride down we spied a spot that would be perfect to build a backcountry kicker. We've talked about doing that all season and decided that it was time to finally get it done.

Saturday, we piled up in the truck again, shovels ready to go. It took David, Trevor, & Russ (I was moral support) over an hour to build the beast. I'd say they did a pretty nice job though.

The Beast

Smooth it Out
Finishing touches.

It was time to hit it. I busted out my camera and got some shots of the boys sessioning. The jump had a pretty steep landing and they got some big air off of it.

Rodeo 5
David backflipping over the valley.

From Below
View from below.

Everyone started getting tired and we decided to head out around 3:30 pm. It was a nice long day on the Pass. Of course, there was still another day in the weekend, meaning another day to ride. I was feeling pretty sick when I woke up (not sure if it's allergies or a cold) but nevertheless, I dragged myself out of bed to go hike up to the Claw. Fresh air always helps when I'm sick anyway. We had a crew: David, Trevor, Russ, Cyrus, Justin, and our Seattle friends Robin Pitt (a fellow photog) and his girlfriend Julie (used to work at Café Ladro in lower Queen Anne!). Everyone sessioned all day and we had the best time.

Frontside 3
Cyrus, frontside 360.

Hard at Work

Russ Sends It
Russ sends it.

Hiking the Jump
Cyrus & David hiking the jump.

Trevor Hucks It
Trevor rocks his pickle.

Backside 5
David, backside 5.

Backcountry Method
David gets that backcountry method shot he's wanted all season!

Unfortunately, that might have been one of the last days we get to ride this season. The snow was so heavy and sticky when we came down through the chutes that it was almost unbearable. Needless to say, it was one of the best days we've had out on the Pass with good friends, good riders, and lots of laughs.