Thursday, January 28, 2010

Making the Most of the Mountain

The past few days have been some of the best that I've had here in JH. Yesterday I met up with Anna and we took some runs in the fresh 5 inches of powder. Stuff was good all over the mountain. We stopped for lunch at the Moose and a little Bailey's and coffee to get us going.

IMG_3561

After, we prepared for my first trip out to Four Pines. The avalanche conditions were definitely a little more questionable out there than in the comfort of Rock Springs. The journey required passing over Rock Springs and then hiking up a steep knoll. Soon we dropped down into a small canyon, shadowed by the line called "Breakneck". Don't think I'll be hitting that anytime soon. Looks gnarly.

Parade to Four Pines
Anna on hike #1 to Four Pines

Cody Peak
Cody Peak looming in the fog.

Four Pines
Our destination: the knoll in the left upper corner of the photo.

Breakneck
The line called Breakneck. Yikes!

After a second mellower hike, we reached the top of Four Pines, along with several other go-getters. We looked down at the awesome powder below us and couldn't believe how epic it looked. The sun even started peaking through on our descent.

Hike
Hike #2 to Four Pines.

Anna's Line
Anna on the descent.

Dropping
View from where I was about to drop -- fun chute!

We reached the flattened area at the bottom and proceeded to take the long, tiring traverse back to the resort. All of the hard work hiking and traversing was totally worth it.

Some Fresh Tracks
Looking back at the goods.

Today was another hard hitting day. I got out to the resort early with David so I could show him Rock Springs. It was sunny and the avalanche danger was supposed to increase as the day went on. It was pretty tracked through there with some heavy sun-soaked snow, but it was still a blast. A parade of people were hiking up the ridge to Cody Peak...good idea since this was one of the first sunny days we've had in weeks! I bet that was a good time.

After Rock Springs, we headed up the elevator shaft hike up the Headwall from the top of the Gondola. We met a snowboard instructor named Steve who also had the day off on our way up. Turns out we have lots of mutual friends, so when David took a sweet line down through the trees so he could go to work, I showed Steve the chute David and I had gone down in Casper Bowl a few days before. The snow was lots heavier today but still nice and soft. I ended up meeting with my friend Helena as well, and we had a small crew roaming around the mountain for the rest of the day. Another hike up Headwall and a Saratoga Bowl run later, I was spent. Now here I am writing this and soaking up the afternoon rays that are pouring through my window.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, but the days off I had were amazing, and I think I'll be able to power through while I look forward to some more adventures!

1 comment:

siwa said...

What a difference a day makes, eh, Amy? Wish I could be there - the photos are just gorgeous. I'd love to be silently floating through that powder, too. Remember, it takes the blah days to help you appreciate the fantastic days like today.