Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Big Days lead to Big Mountain Lines

Much to my dismay, the biggest snowfall of the year fell on a day that I was taking photos at the top of the kiddie lift. I woke up to a snow report of 12" overnight, 18" in the last 24 hours. I was super bummed. Luckily, the manager let us take some runs over on Apres Vous, and Jake and I tore it up in Saratoga Bowl. It was some of the deepest powder I've seen over there, and the traverse out was even mildly tame. Whew. Luckily, I had Tuesday off so I could at least get some leftovers from the huge day before.

David's friends Jesse & Chris are in town, so we started the day with a lap on the tram. It turned out to be a sunny day so we showed them the gorgeous view from the top. Jesse got really excited:

Jump for Joy
Jesse Atkins. Jumping for joy over Cody Peak.

We headed down to the bottom of Sublette and decided on our next plan of attack. David spotted a chute that looked ride-able and decided to go for it. Needless to say, he went a little bigger than I thought he would and I kind of freaked out on my side of the lens when I saw him do it. That's David though.

Stomped It
Rock drop to stomp 6 " from a rock...no big deal.

On the way to that line I had spotted a much gnarlier line that needed dropping. The sun was out and the snow was good so David decided to go for it. Let's just say that I was pretty stoked on David's riding today. I've seen him hit some pretty big drops and stuff in the park, but watching him do these big mountain lines got me really excited. Cody Peak is next.

Big Mountain Lines

Powder Turns

Soon I had to get my hiking itch taken care of and I met up with my friend Steve to hike the Crags. It took about 45 minutes from the Apres Vous side, but we found one of the best lines. Trees and knee-waist deep powder. Steve hit a tree stump and ripped his pants, but other than that it was all good.

We spent the remainder of the day playing around in Saratoga Bowl. I took a few shots of the guys "jibbing" this big pillowy rock. It was too abrupt to hit and jump off of so a spray was the way to go.

Rock Jibbing
David Duffy rock spray.

Back to work for the next two days, and then some more good riding. I must say that I'm getting awfully used to riding with my 25 lb. camera bag...and that's a good thing :)

No comments: