Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stoked on Snow

In a normal winter weather pattern, I wouldn't be excited about 3" of fresh snow on the ground. In fact, I would probably stay home. But when faced with the disadvantages of and El NiƱo year, one will definitely jump out of bed for a meager three inches. Today was one of those days. It seems like the storms have finally started reaching Wyoming.

David and I made it out to the Village just after opening. With so many options, we decided on some Thunder laps. I took a few photos of David hitting a drop called Surveyor's. It's roped off right now but it's still possible to slide off of the smallest part of it. With a few more storms, and no ropes, this drop will be pretty fun.

Surveyor's Drop
Snowy day on Surveyor's Drop. Rider: David Duffy

When David had to go to work, I ran into my friend Anna down at the bottom. We ended up having a pretty epic day together. First we took a "warm-up" lap down Granny Chutes over to Thunder and then up to Sublette. We decided at Headwall hike was in order. (I really need to get out hiking more. That type of altitude is a killer when you're used to hiking at sea level.) Needless to say, we gained significant distance between us and the dude not far behind us so I still felt pretty good. The snow on the Headwall was awesome and it was due time for a lunch break. I ran into my friend Trevor at 6311 and he suggested we go into Rock Springs.

I've been itching to get out into the backcountry since conditions started settling after the Wally incident. Problem is, I don't know my way around back there and it's hard to find somebody to show a newb around. I even have my Level I Avalanche Class done so it's not like I would be a safety hazard. Luckily Anna has been living here for four years and she was stoked to go out there.

We dropped into the second gate and were amazed to see a big bowl full of deep powder. It was so peaceful and beautiful out there. At times I felt like I was in the resort with the amount of tracks I saw, but the snow was still surprisingly deep and soft. After seeing a few people out there, I felt even safer. We took the sketchy traverse out (there's actually a fallen log right in the middle of it), navigating our way around the brush and dirt patches, and decided we would do it all over again.

After lots of turns, laughs, a questionable log ride and high fives, it was time to hit the Moose for some hot cider beverages. I was so stoked to be out there in the backcountry (finally), especially with another girl who was having just as much fun. Until next time...

1 comment:

All Mountain Access said...

3"......Can you send some of that to the Front Range of Colorado? As the South is getting dumped on the Front Range is once again left out to dry. I saw you have your Level 1 certification, if you are in need of any avalanche gear or any outdoor gear you should check us out at All Mountain Access. You can find us at www.myallmountainaccess.com. We are heading out to Jackson Hole the last weekend of February so I hope the snow hits by then! If you get the opportunity check us out on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Denver-CO/All-Mountain-Access/120077583621?ref=ts.