Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shorts in October

Hello again, it's been some time. I've felt so overwhelmed with moving and visiting and working that I've hardly had any time to be creative. So, here I am again. Let's see where I left off. Oh yes, a beautiful fall day in Seattle. Fall is quickly transitioning into winter up here in the Northwest, getting me super stoked for the big move to Jackson. Only five days until we leave! We're all set with a place and have started the heavy task of packing. That part is never fun. The plan is to leave on Friday, spend two nights in Spokane with David's cousins, then arrive in Jackson on the 1st. I'm so excited it's ridiculous!

Last week I decided to take a trip back to Phoenix to see my family, since I don't know how easy it's going to be to get away for the holidays this year. It should have been a fun trip, being that it was sunny and 80 degrees the whole time, but the night I got there I fell ill with a fever and the worst aches I've ever had. Maybe I had swine flu. Who knows, but the damn sickness is still hanging around. I spent my time in Arizona sitting on the couch playing Wii with David and attempting to sleep by the pool. The last day we were there, David and I took a drive up north to Sedona and Jerome. Sedona is famous for it's gorgeous red rock formations. I didn't take my camera down to AZ in order to save some space, but my mom graciously donated her old AE-1 Program film SLR to my growing collection of picture taking devices. I was pretty excited to shoot with it, especially since I haven't shot film since I was in middle school. One of my first photos was this adorable shot of my family's new kitty, Lexi. She and her brother Mac provided a lot of entertainment for David and I while we were there.

The Family Kitty
The family kitty, Lexi.

We didn't spend a lot of time in Sedona. There were a lot of little hiking trails that led to the various rock formations. I would love to go back there and backpack sometime.

Bell Rock Trail
Bell Rock trail.

David in Sedona
David in front of Courthouse Butte.

After wandering around a little more on the dirt paths and taking photos, we decided to make a loop drive back to Phoenix and stop at Jerome on the way home. The route took us about 40 minutes away from Sedona, up a winding road to a town built a mile high into a hillside. The crooked streets of Jerome were lined with historic buildings, but it was crawling with junk stores and overweight tourists. After grabbing a bite to eat at a local grill, we followed the road a mile further to the Jerome ghost town and Gold King Mine. After paying the five dollar entry fee, we entered into a dusty old town lined with rotting buildings and archaic Fords. I was pretty excited to be shooting with film at this point. The medium seemed to suit the subjects and the rustic atmosphere. We wandered around for an hour or so in the afternoon sunlight, snapping photos of whatever looked interesting. The mine entrance consisted of a wooden structure with a seemingly endless tunnel into the earth. I don't think I'd ever want to set foot in there. It looked pretty creepy.

Old Saloon
An old saloon in Jerome.

The Spirit Room
The Spirit Room bar.

Need a Lift?
Old Ford in the ghost town.

Rusty.
Rusty tools.

Besides my sickness, we had a pretty nice day exploring parts of Arizona that I hadn't ever really paid much attention to. It isn't all vast, barren desert I guess.

We returned to a cold and rainy Seattle on Thursday afternoon to work our last couple days at work. My last night was Friday. I was pretty sad to leave a job that I really enjoy but if I ever want to get ahead in snowboard photography, I think that moving to a ski town is probably the best option. David, me, and our parents attended the Teatro show last night and then hung out at Solo to say farewell to my friends there. It was a bittersweet goodbye. They are all such wonderful inspiring people but I know I'm on to a new and exciting chapter of my life. David had his last night at Feierabend on Saturday. I was in attendance along with several people who David became close with while working there. It really is a great little bar and I will be sad to not call it my regular hang-out anymore. I hope he finds just as good of a bartending job in Jackson. It's always tough saying goodbye to a good thing.

As sad as it is, we are so completely excited to move out to Jackson Hole. Today begun the four day packing marathon. I really hate packing but I know once we get on that road we are just going to be overflowing with excitement! For now, I'll leave with the photos from the show last night. Farewell!

Beaumont and Caswell
Beaumont, Caswell, David and me at Teatro Zinzanni.

No comments: