Saturday, October 3, 2009

On Having a Social Life and Working Restaurants

I have recently noticed a lame decline in my social life since I started waiting tables. Yes, I know I've been serving for a couple of years now, but it's been a slow decline. When I was working at Red Door, I saw lots of friends that I went to school with. Even though I wasn't actually partying with them, I was there, and able to catch up. Since I started working at Teatro Zinzanni, I haven't really seen anybody I know come to the theater (it is $150/ticket...I don't really blame them). It's sad though. Once I finish a weekend of work, I feel like I'm on sensory overload and have no desire to go out and party or socialize after it's all over. I've been talking so much and moving so quickly that I'm just exhausted when I get home.

Waiting tables can be great because you usually get to work with a social group of people. While that's all fine, I feel like I have a tough time keeping in touch with the "outsiders" or those "nine-to-fivers" as we like to call them. I'm lucky if I get to see my UW friends once a month.

That being said, I was invited to a party last night for Kumara Kelley's birthday. Kumara is a sick snowboarder. I met her down at High Cascade. Plus she's a girl that can rip. You don't encounter that every day. She's an awesome person too, and the two of us had discussed the waiting tables phenomenon over a cup of coffee at Ladro. Like she said, sometimes you feel like a housewife, because you just sit around an chill all day until the madness of customer service falls upon you in the late night hours. "Should I clean the house today or go grocery shopping? Oh wait, I have time for both. Maybe I'll even bake some bread." Anyway, I attended Kumara's party last night, and I was happy about it. I was scheduled to work from 9 am to 11 pm tonight (two shows!), and I still got my tired body out to socialize last night...fun. It was a post snowboard movie premiere event at Evo, so there were a bunch of our type there. Lots of people wearing bright colored clothes and saggy beanies that are just itching to talk about the snow that's started falling in the mountains. As for Ku, I hope she gets moved up in the Burton sponsor ranks. She's awesome, and I'm happy to know her.


20090731_hcscpw_0251
Photo I took of Kumara at HCSC, just killin it!

No comments: