Thursday, January 12, 2012

yurt party.

This past Monday night, I had the wonderful opportunity to celebrate a friend's birthday by renting out the Rock Springs yurt, located just outside the boundaries of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Yurts, in western culture, are commonly located deep in the mountains. They provide refuge for skiers, snowboarders, alpinists, and mountaineers alike. Ours here in JH has a lovely little wood stove, sleeps about 8 people (comfortably) and comes with a trusty "yurtmeister" who cooks you dinner, snacks, and breakfast. On Monday afternoon, we set out on the 3:00 pm tram to begin our treacherous decent down to our home for the night. (I say treacherous only because, like the rest of the US, it hasn't really snowed here this winter. The downward travel was a crusty mess of snow littered with rocks and brush.) After our heinous run to the bottom, we were greeted into the yurt with chips and dip and a welcoming fire radiating from the wood stove. Our night was spent socializing, making new friends, and sleeping soundly in...an igloo? Yes, David and I spent the night in the little igloo that had been built right outside of the yurt. And yes, it was actually warm. Yay for Thermarest! Needless to say, this was one of my favorite experiences I've had so far here in JH, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the winter has in store :)

yurt_001
the yurt.

yurt_004
beverages of choice.

yurt_002
danielle in the igloo.

yurt_003
girls just havin fun!

yurt_007
inside of the yurt.

yurt_006
me and my favorite girls.

yurt_009
bedtime!

No comments: