Friday, March 12, 2010

Good Times in the Hole

As the weather warms, everyone is looking for more ways to entertain themselves to put the powder dreams out of their minds. I had the last three days off and I put them to good use. Aside from trying new breakfast recipes of delicious whole wheat pancakes with strawberries and Greek yogurt, spring cleaning, and playing with my new light, I attempted my first feature in the "Big Park". It is a step-down, and it was a lot bigger than I first thought. Like most hucking maneuvers, I just pointed my board and realized I was about to go off the thing whether I liked it or not. The first time I landed on the flat part and fell. Ouch. By the third time I was flying off of it, landing easily on the transition about 6 feet below. Good stuff. I always like when I come away from a day on the hill after trying something new. It means that after 100 days of riding (as of today!) this season I have actually accomplished something. Tried something I couldn't do before. Gotten better.

Thursday was another beautiful day out in Jackson. David and I woke up to bluebird skies with a mission to eat waffles in Corbet's Cabin (the tiny restaurant at the top of the tram) and hike the pass. We made our way up the tram and entered into the little cabin, the smell of waffles and coffee permeating the air.

Corbet's Cabin

Corbet's

Once inside I had three choices spelled out to me on the chalkboard. A waffle...topped with butter & brown sugar, strawberry jam, or Nutella. Decisions, decisions. I decided on the butter & brown sugar. David got the same as me in addition to another waffle with Nutella.

Nutella Waffle
David's Nutella waffle.

Waffles!
Corbet's Cabin waffles -- a little slice of heaven.

They were as delicious as I imagined! We ate our waffles, drank coffee, and hung out in the rustic little cabin for a while. It was a great start to the day.

Lovin Life

Cody "Peek"
Not a bad view either! Cody Peak.

Bluebird Tram Ride
Riding the tram.

Next stop: Teton Pass. I'm sure I've mentioned how much I loathe the hike up Mt. Glory before, right? Oh I haven't? Well, it's 1,000 feet of grueling bootpack up the side of a mountain topping off at 10,086 feet. Not exactly fun, but it's great exercise and it really emphasizes the whole "earn your turns" theme. Most runs off of Glory are pretty sweet, although the weather hasn't exactly been partial to epic backcountry riding lately. A melt-freeze cycle is in full force and most of the snow has turned into crust. Waiting to snowboard until after 1 pm is pretty ideal lately.


It was windy as hell. I wasn't happy. Putting hand warmers in my gloves to stay warm.


My snowboard...and my truck, proudly sporting an Alpental sticker.


Still cold and windy. Time to start hiking!

The original plan was to make it out to Coal Creek or Big Piney once we reached the summit, but I wasn't feeling well (ladies know what I mean) and since David had to go to work at 2, I didn't feel like it would be worth the extra effort with the traverses, hitchhiking, etc. Twin Slides it was, and it wasn't very fun. At least we got some good exercise...I'm sure we'll return to that beloved hike very soon and try again.

Almost there
"I hate this part, I hate this part..."

Billboard
We'll be back!

Even better, I made lots of money today, and it's time to celebrate my 100th day of snowboarding this season. Party on!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow, Amy: Are you talking 100 days of riding in a row? That's amazing. What a record! But with those big Beauties in your back yard, it totally makes sense.

I love the shot of you and David. And those waffles look scrumptious! Let's go celebrate your 100 days there again when we come to JH!

Sharon said...

Glad you are having fun.

Paul said...

Great post. We gotta try Corbett's Cabin when we're in town. I don't know about the Nutella, though. Take Care.