Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth of July Weekend

With the unfortunate knowledge that I had to work at 5pm on the Fourth of July, I decided to get an early celebration in with some friends on the 3rd. I had heard about what a fun day trip it can be going up to Phelps Lake in Grand Teton National Park, and I hoped that it would cure my need for a day at the lake like we used to have in Washington.

Death Canyon Trail
Death Canyon Trailhead

A few miles down the worst dirt road ever and a quick hike in led us to some spectacular views of Phelps Lake from the Death Canyon trailhead. If you're not much of a hiker, this one's for you. The trail is easy, there are lots of people around, and you still get rewarded with an amazing view.

Phelps Lake, Death Canyon
Phelps Lake & Death Canyon.

We hiked down to the water's edge and over to a large boulder on the north side of the lake. This is the perfect jumping rock. The water was ice cold, so Julie & I opted to watch the boys. Alex took the plunge first and the rest followed suit.

Alex Goes First
Alex taking the plunge.

The Leap
Robin's stoked.

Since it was super cold and windy on the top of the rock, we moved over to a sandy area on the west side of the lake. We spent the rest of the day soaking up some rays, playing horseshoes, and taking pictures. Not a bad way to spend a beautiful summer day.

Phelps Lake
Late afternoon on Phelps Lake.

That night, David and I headed over to Teton Village to catch the fireworks. Yes, they were on the 3rd and the 4th. Highly beneficial for locals like me who are keeping this town alive on the holiday. Thanks Jackson Hole!

3rd of July Celebration
Teton Village fireworks.

On a side note, I took all of my photos this weekend with my film camera. I'm anxiously waiting for the results. More photos to come...

No comments: