Tuesday, February 16, 2016

personal | winter reflection

If you haven't guessed by my endless stream of snowy photos on Instagram already, I love winter. Honestly this comes as a bit of surprise to me. Born and raised in the Arizona sunshine, I don't think anyone could have predicted that I would have an undying love for playing in the snow in my adult years. But alas, it's true. It's not that I don't enjoy summer, it's just that I'm really really busy in the summer. When winter comes around, it's like this cold breath of fresh air and freedom. My weekends are free, my evenings are relaxing, and I have time to give back to myself. This past Saturday, I spent my 25th day on the slopes this season. Not bad for a city dweller right? Some may call us crazy and complain about the commute, but to me, every minute is worth it. Snowboarding is where I feel the most free. Floating down the side of a mountain in fresh powder on my board is a feeling I get nowhere else and it completely balances out all of the other madness that I find in life. The peaceful pockets between the trees where everything is quiet and snow falls all around keep me calm. The steep faces I somehow get down when I was standing at the top feeling nervous give me an immense sense of accomplishment. And it's all followed by the high fives with friends at the end of the day with smiles pinned on our faces from ear to ear. Snowboarding makes me want to be better, to challenge myself, and improve. I fully believe that those values are transferred over into the business side of my life. As the temperatures rise and the summer approaches, I know that I can go into the busy season with a refreshed mind and strong body. Without snowboarding, I just wouldn't be me.


No comments: