Thursday, March 21, 2013

jackson hole backcountry | three days of powder.

Wow am I one lucky girl! This week has been simply amazing. With my friend Kristina coming to town (you can read about her skiing/climbing/mountaineering adventures here) I was really hoping to show her a good time and had been praying for fresh snow. Well, the snow gods have answered with over a foot falling over the last two days! Our first day was spent at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, and the conditions were questionable. A hard crust lurked underneath what looked like fresh powder and the skiing was super variable with a fresh fluffy turn here and then hitting a patch of hard ice there. Yuck. At least it was snowing! The next day we awoke to gorgeous bluebird skies and decided to hit up Teton Pass for the backcountry. What a great decision. Breaking out the splitboard for the second time, I tried to keep up with Kristina and David on my first side-hilling attempt out to The Claw on the south side of the Pass. Luckily I'm getting better at this two-planking thing and didn't even fall when the track went downhill! I just slipped a lot while trying to keep my edges in the slope. Regardless of my skinning abilities, the views were stunning and the weather was perfect.

photo by Kristina. skinning on Teton Pass.

reaching the top of The Claw.

We got out to our point of descent, David and I put our "skis" back together as snowboards, and off we went down the steep chutes of The Claw. Just wow.

Kristina took this one while she was waiting for me to put my board together.

Kristina on the left, David on the right. get some pow!

Kyle -- not a bad way to spend a morning.

Me & Kristina with The Claw in the back on the left.

So much fun! Kristina and I just couldn't get enough so we decided to do another lap by ourselves. The late afternoon sunlight was so beautiful and it was even warmer than before. The Claw was also equally as fun. So much pow!

that glorious late afternoon sun. photo by Kristina.

finally a photo of me snowboarding! photo by Kristina.

our way down.

After that we drove north to take some photos of the Tetons. That view seriously never gets old.


The next morning we woke up and it was snowing pretty hard. Another lap on The Claw was in order! There were no stunning views to take in but there sure was a lot of snow to shred.

another photo of me snowboarding! this didn't suck. photo by Kristina.

Kristina fully enjoys here Wednesday morning.

David getting some of the fresh stuff. Love how there is so much snow coming down in this one!

the rest of the way down. dreamy...

I unfortunately had to go to work after all of that last night but we woke up to eight inches of fresh snow today. Another day at the ski resort was in order with avalanche conditions in not such good shape. Several tram laps and gondola rides later, we ate some delicious Teton Thai and are now resting our legs by the fire. Today was one of the best days at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort all season! Oh and last I checked it was still snowing :)

No comments: