Saturday, August 8, 2009

I am officially part of the theater...

Although my main career focus is photography, I do have to find some way to pay the bills while I'm on my journey to becoming a professional. That's why I wait tables. I have spent many years in my young life in the service industry in a variety of jobs. I've refilled coffees on Sunday mornings and I've served endless trays of Jager Bombs to fraternity boys on Friday and Saturday nights. Honestly, I've learned a lot. I know how to interact with many walks of life. Old, young, friendly, rude, sober, drunk, you name it. I've dealt with it all. After becoming burned out with serving cocktails on weekend nights at the Red Door in Fremont, I decided to try my hand at something completely different. This leads me to my current job (quite an adventure might I add), Teatro Zinzanni.

Located in lower Queen Anne of Seattle, this dinner/theater show provides a magical night of a five course dinner (crafted by Tom Douglas himself), wine, celebration, and a cabaret style show. You will see feathers, sparkles, comedians, men in hot pants, contortionists, trapeze, dance, and all of the other highlights that this type of show might offer. It's like Vegas in Seattle.

I work as a server here. Different than any other serving job I've had, I'd compare it to working on a cruise ship. There are lots of pieces of silverware on the table, the food all comes out at the same time, and the menu is limited (although delicious). Other duties of a server at Teatro Zinzanni include dancing (sometimes while carrying food), talking about wine, and providing a celebratory and special evening for each and every guest. This all happens within specific time limits. 30 seconds off and you are behind for the night.

That brings me to tonight's incident. While carrying four large plates in my arms, my little heel-clad foot tragically slipped on a ramp that is temporarily added to the stage for the Vertical Tango act (you will see it if you go). Beef tenderloin and mashed potatoes went flying. My bum smashed right into the edge of the ramp, making it difficult to get up immediately. Although hurt and embarrassed, I was determined to finish my night. I poured the coffee, served Tiramisu, and tried so smile and act like nothing happened. One of the captains (of course after asking if I was okay) said, "Now you're officially part of the theater!"

More than anything, my pride was bruised much worse than my bum. Nobody likes to make mistakes, especially in front of a tent filled with over 250 people. But as I sit here with an ice pack, I don't regret my work. I have so many stories to tell, I've met so many interesting people, and I truly love making somebody's night special...even if it involves a slip here and there. Nobody's perfect right?

No comments: