Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer is Here!

Sunshine, 90 degrees, blue skies...am I living in Arizona again? The weather in Seattle has been ideal for summertime fun. I have spent the past couple of weeks juggling shifts at work and trying to find some free time to go on bike rides and work on my tan. (After all, I am going to Florida soon, and I don't want to look like I've been living in a cave!) After working 10 out of 11 days between jobs, I finally had the last two days off. I was pretty excited on Monday because I received my new lens in the mail. (Or should I say: Le Lundi, j'ai reçu mon nuvel objectif dans le mail. I'm always trying to think of how to translate my thoughts into Français.) It's a Canon 15mm fisheye lens. Not only will this lens give me some ridiculously wide angles, it will allow me to express my creativity. Since snowboarding photography is my goal, it's going to be a great addition to my bag of tricks. On to the results.

The first photo is one I took of David when we were just messing around with the lens to see what it could do right out of the package. After a little tweaking in CS3, it looks pretty sweet.



I decided to go on a bike ride to Golden Gardens, and took a few shots when I got there. I was really amazed at how wide this thing goes. Even on a cropped sensor, I'm getting some really great images.


Arguably the best beach near Seattle


My bike



I love the last one out of that set. I'm realizing that the more I work with black and white, the more I love it. It has a classic look that really appeals to me.

Yesterday, we decided to take advantage of one of the hottest days so far this year and head over to the arboretum park at University of Washington. There is a part of the 520 bridge that is disconnected, and on any given summer day you can find several college kids hanging out in canoes and hucking themselves off of the 40 foot bridge. David and I headed out to the park to work on our tans. We didn't have any intention of jumping the bridge (David has a cast on his leg) but it was entertaining to watch the kids egging each other on - some attempting back-flips, resulting in back-flops. David's brother Daniel headed out, and I got a some pretty cool shots of him jumping.


Daniel taking a leap of faith


David, with Daniel in the distance walking to the jumping point

No comments: